Monday, June 18, 2007

Day 14: Field - Lake Louise 25km


A big pat on our backs today as we have entered Alberta and our first province is completed. I must say I love British Columbia and all the great people I have met over this 2 weeks and over the last 7 months I have spent in Vancouver.
A very short ride today as we have heard so much about Lake Louise and John Worral is trying to hook us up with a free gondola ride. When we woke up this morning we new we were well into the Rockies as it was very cold. Plenty of tea and porridge and we were ready to cycle the full 25km to Lake Louise.
I know a lot of people just love the Rockies and say it is the best place to visit in Canada but I disagree. Yes the landscape is outstanding and you walk around gob smacked most of the time, but it is such a tourist trap. Everything is geared around tourism and if you don't have the money people in hostels, restaurants etc. aren't very warming or as friendly as other parts of Canada. I guess we have been feeling like celebrities in the BC Interior and the small towns we have passed through. But don't get me wrong it is amazing and I have some outstanding pictures. We basically spent a lot more money than we wanted and that put a downer on the Rockies experience for me anyway. We didn't get there in time for the free gondola ride either.

No comments: