Friday, June 29, 2007

Day 28: Stuck in Regina

Its not as bad as it sounds we just had a few problems and the wind was very strong so we didn't end up getting very far. We woke around 7.00am and gathered all our gear together and had breakfast in the hostel. The wind wasn't strong early on so we were planning to at least get to Fort Qu'Appelle and camp there for the night. Just as we set off from the hostel one of Agnes' front pannier racks fell off. The screw had snapped and the remainder of it was stuck right in the hole. We walked to a bike shop we had been to the other day and they didn't have the special drill bit that is needed to get the screw out. We decided to try some hardware shops and find the drill bit and then take it back to the bike shop. This was not possible without spending lots of money so after a couple of hours we stopped for a break and had some lunch. Everything in Regina is so spread out we must have walked about 30km.
After lunch we walked to another bike shop which was even more of a walk but it was well worth it. A couple of guys in the shop looked and scratched their chins so we waited for the boss to come back and he whipped the thing out in five minutes. By this time it was 4.30pm and the wind was coming strongly from the east.
To save a few dollars we headed for a campsite 1km out of town. On the way my pedal fell off so I had to push my bike all the way. It served me right as I had been laughing at Agnes for having more bike problems. I was also talking about how my hay fever had gone and on the walk to the campsite it came on very badly. A little bad karma coming my way I feel.
The campsite was excellent though and after a shower and some food we both feel great again. Better luck tomorrow we hope.

No comments: