Monday, June 18, 2007

Day 17: Canmore - Calgary 104km


We checked the weather forecast the night before and the outlook was good for the morning and early afternoon anyway. We got up early and had breakfast and got ready to find out that the reception doesn't open till 9.00 and I had to get my 20 dollar deposit back for the room key. We waited around and luckily the sky stayed blue as it does change in a matter of minutes up in the mountains. Today was an incredible ride for me as we left the mountains . As we came out of the Mountains and into flat farmland terrain it felt as though we had been in a 1000km tunnel and now we were free. I can't really explain it but it felt euphoric to me anyway. I forgot to mention that when we cycled into Canmore we reached our first 1000km of the trip, only 7ooo more to go or something around that figure.
We arrived in Calgary at 4.00 and went straight to Agnes ' family friends house where we will spend the night and maybe tomorrow if we decide to take an extra day in Calgary. I know we have had a lot of rest but you have to give your backside time to heal before the next ride. Also we will be going through prairie land for the next 2 weeks so we can make up plenty of time if the wind is on our side.

1 comment:

coelacanth3 said...

Dan: Congratulations on surviving the first 1000- something of a milestone, or the metric equivalent, I guess. On your advise, I got some cleated pedals and managed to fall off the bike on my maiden flight, having forgotten to disengage while in motion. Lets hope that the weather improves for you and that the winds come up from the west. FYI - Coelacanth3 is my NdP, just in case you were wondering who might be commenting - JW